Monday 13 April 2015

Hard work pays off

 I haven't written a blog in what seems like ages and this isn't because nothing has happened worth writing about. Maybe I've just got lazy or just been enjoying Lanzarote a little bit too much. Whatever excuse I am trying to blag here I apologise for the delay. Here are two of the most exciting things to have happened recently. My new bike and getting a half Ironman PB...

 By far the most exciting thing to have happened since I last blogged was the long awaited arrival of my newest love; my bike. This really was a patience testing wait. I had decided pretty much immediately after Challenge Paguera in October I needed a new TT bike (needed being the necessary word there). My goals were bigger and me and the pink beauty just weren't getting along anymore. I spoke to my dad that night after my disappointing race and expressed my woes. I had some inheritance money and decided I would use it on the best bike money could get. I made some messages to Maria and Seb. Maria is the owner of Pro Bike in Lanzarote and Seb is the mechanic there, and definitely the best mechanic I know - what he doesn't know about bikes isn't worth knowing. With this said he knew the ins and outs of the bikes at the present and the future. The one that got many bike geeks excited was the Scott Plasma 5. It's new technology designed by Simon Smart was destined to be the next best thing (only then confirmed with the Scott sponsored professional Sebastian Keinle winning Kona on one). There were of course tiny things that made it more aerodynamic making it the next speed machine (I'll include a link here to those who want to read more as opposed to me babbling to everyone). Although I didn't understand every gadget or milimetre changed from its predecessor it sounded amazing and I was won over with Seb's enthusiasm and the great write ups it was receiving. I may not be able to do it complete justice with my technique but I would definitely have no excuses. I text Maria from Mallorca to order me one in. The only gutting realisation was that I would have to wait 6 months for it. However, it was decided that was a price worth paying.
 Shortly after Valentines Day my new baby had arrived. It took a day to detach it from bubble wrap and be assembled. Driving to pick my new bike was so exciting - I couldn't get there soon enough and probably pissed Nathan off as I was jumping around in the car. Well it was love at first sight and damn did she get some looks from the customers in the shop (and still does wherever I ride her to date). I didn't feel worthy but she was a beautiful bike - a true black beauty. The integrated headset with speed fill water bottle and fuel system although seemingly bulky is designed fantastically.  This alone when full is said to make you 7% faster.

Integrated headset
Integrated fuel and water headset
With my new pride and joy
 To top it all off I was the only non pro worldwide to have this bike. WOW. I slept soundly that night with the sweet knowledge I would be riding my new toy in the morning. If Batman would ride a bike this would be it, so she was soon aptly named the 'Holliemobile'. The day I was due to ride her happened to be a day with some of the worst winds the island has seen in ages - up to 80kmph. Many would deem this too dangerous to ride in (a local triathlon was also cancelled because of this). Nothing however was stopping me from getting out. Nathan and I decided the only safe place to ride would be up Tabayesco - one of the hardest climbs on the island. This is a regular route for me. It's 20km to the bottom along a highway that always has a brutal headwind. Then it is a 9.5km climb to the top which ascends 600m of wind protection (meaning a sweaty affair) finishing with 6 lovely hairpins. My plan had me doing a 3 and a half hour ride so with Tabayesco's climb being the only place with wind protection we took it in turns into the headwind to get there and then did it 4 brutal and sweaty times. We ran out of water at the top of the fourth time and then bombed it back the final 30km. This is no mean feat to some (the record is a mind numbing 17 times) but to me this showed my dedication to my goal and determination to ride my new bike. And oh wow was it worth it. Like a best friend we just clicked and it was a new love story. I absolutely adore her and truly belong on a TT bike. I felt comfortable and felt my hard work beginning to click in.

The first time up Tabayesco - looking slightly fresher than the last
On a bike ride recently up Mirador Del Rio - can never tire of this view (of course I mean the bike!)
 Shortly after getting my bike I decided to have a Retul bike fit. Big thanks to Judith Brand at Dr J Coaching and Bike Fitting. I made all the recommended changes to my set up which brought me forward and raised my TT bars and we clicked even more. The power I was producing became more efficient and the back pain I always got reduced (although I also have to thank Dave Muir's brutal massage for this too). However, my first big race of the year was where the truth of my training would show. This was called the Tri122 and was a half Ironman distance event, a distance I have never been too keen on. This would be good practice for Ironman Lanzarote and as it was literally on my doorstep in Costa Teguise I would be stupid not to compete.

Picking up my race number with friends
As always laying my kit out so not to forget anything - can you see a colour scheme?
 My Dad came out to support me and decided to bring my ever proud grandad too. I was ecstatic to see my Dad. It had been 3 months and I was super excited to give my Dad a hug (I have missed my family a hell of a lot the past few months). I still had training to do around my Dad's visit including a swim, bike, run the day before the race where my quads felt horribly tight. This feeling didn't disappear on the morning of the event. I put it down to nerves while my friends (namely Nathan, Bart and Sam) jeered it was me getting the excuses in early. Excuse it was not.
 This event was also Nathan's first triathlon and his first big race to see whether his endurance training (most importantly his swimming) had paid off. Racking our bikes in transition at 6.30am held the same nervous excitement all triathlons do, even more so because this was a longer event. This meant that by 7am the 3 portaloos were almost brimming with nervous shits...lovely.

With Nathan on race morning in transition

Me with my Dad and Grandad ready to swim
 I had made some pretty loose predictions to my Dad just so he knew when to expect me. I estimated a 35 minute swim (upon seeing the course which I could see from looking was longer than 2k) made it 40minutes (it ended up being 2.6km). I said a 3h30-3h45 bike which seems very generous but it was a hilly Lanzarote course and an average 2 hour run. The 8am start of course turned into a Canarian 8.15 start and the women were set off first. Considering there were only about 13 of us this meant it was a lonely swim for the most part and I ended up not being able to draft, maintaining the lead of the chasing pack - damn. I exited the swim in 42 minutes, nothing to be impressed about but it was a longer swim and close to my estimation. My time to shine was now the bike.
On a mission leaving transition
I have seen some huge improvements during training on the bike and I only have Lanzarote, its tough terrain and wind to thank for that. Beating Nathan up one of the toughest climbs on the island whilst training was a sure sign of that (although I of course haven't rubbed that in much haha). The thought of him chasing me through the race also kept me pushing on strong. From the moment I got on the bike I was overtaking people. My legs almost immediately burned but I gritted my teeth into the headwinds and up the brutal climbs. I'm still no speed machine going up but I get up respectably and when I hit the downs I fly. I made this point to Nathan yesterday who is still a better climber than me (although not by a huge amount now). However, the speed at which I come downhill and can maintain on the flats makes up for it as I still came in before Nathan overall. In time if I can improve my ascending even more then I may have something good! Coming from someone who was scared shitless of going downhill the confidence I have gained is almost unrecognisable. Going down Mirador I hit 80kmph/50mph - even cars were having to pull over. I came out of the water as sixth woman and throughout the bike was ticking off the women (and many men I may add). I pushed a huge effort on the final 20km. Nathan had also not passed me by this point which made me wonder if he made it out of the water as I really had expected him to pass me. I was overjoyed when I saw him on the other side of the road as I was going into the final 5km and he had the last 15km along the highway to complete. I really was having a banging ride if he was only there! I rolled into transition in 3 hours to shocked cheers from my Dad (thankfully he was there early!). As I was dismounting I kept repeating to him "3 hours Dad, 3 hours!". If ever my Dad's face could show pride I believe it was now. As I ran out of transition friends from Tri Activ looked happily suprised shouting "You're third woman, amazing!".

Climbing up a tough climb out of Orzola still smiling!
 I knew if there were any decent runners even 5-10 minutes behind me I would have no chance of maintaining my podium. Running is my nemesis. I'm not shit but I'm not great. 10km/h is an achievable and good plod for me which isn't the slowest but it's not going to win any awards. All I wanted really was to get a 2 hour half marathon as this is the pace I wanted to aim for over Ironman Lanzarote. The race atmosphere was fantastic, thank you to all who were supporting it really makes a difference. Friends lined the course screaming encouragement and it was great to see so many friendly faces on the course, including congratulations and advice from Bella. Husband and wife speed machines Daniel and Michi Herlbauer who are also coached by Bella were as smiley and encouraging as always despite their speed. Both gave me a high five as I came beaming out of transition. Daniel went on to come second and Michi was first woman. The run was a 3 lap affair and was on an undulating coastal path. As per Lanzarote it was damn hot. I held my pace pretty consistent but wasn't able to push beyond my standard 6 minute kilometres. By the second lap the woman behind me came whizzing past. The run as normal was not an enjoyable affair. I was getting frustrated with my speed (or lack thereof), my stomach was cramping and my back began to hurt. Seeing Nathan and lovely friend Sam each lap was a massive boost though. I eventually completed the run in 2h04.
 I crossed the line in 5h49. A sub 6 hour half Ironman on a tough Lanzarote course and a huge PB. I was so chuffed. My personal gains are insane. In October my half Ironman time was a shocking 6h40. In 6 months I have taken off 51 minutes. The bike course in Mallorca although not flat, was in comparison to Lanzarote and I knocked 21 minutes off. These improvements just wow me and make me proud of what I have achieved whilst training in Lanzarote. Hard work really does pay off!

So pleased to cross that line!
 I watched Sam come in shortly after and then ran across the finish line with Nathan in an amazing 6h11 (yes he got chicked by his girlfriend haha - again I haven't rubbed this in much). Considering he was a non swimmer 8 months before and this was his first triathlon I was super proud. I was ecstatic but not feeling the best. We had all planned to go for a celebratory meal that night but I spent the rest of the night on the toilet. I couldn't even make it to the awards ceremony to collect my age group prize. Bella and I chatted about what could've been the cause and although I blame it on my breakfast choice she also explained that sometimes it is the downside of racing hard and had been in the same situation many times after her races. It would now be a case of eliminating foods to get the right nutrition (the fourth discipline in endurance racing). Had this event of been a full I wouldn't have got through!
So proud to see Nathan finish - the smiles say it all
 It's now 40 days until Ironman Lanzarote and I am getting excited. My run worries me but all I can do now is keep myself going and make sure that my aimed time of 4h20 is possible by getting my legs used to the grinding. Aside from that I want to enjoy the day. I know many people competing and will see Nathan and Sam become Ironmen. As always I will have my parents to support me and I am determined to thank them for their constant support whilst I'm here by making them proud. I'm not going to lie I want a PB and I want to podium. Writing that may be a bad omen but hopefully that will push me more. I know sometimes the pressure is what causes failure but I really want this. From all I have learnt from Bella in my training her mental attitude and determination is another. She told me "I was never the most talented but I wanted it more than the others". I really really want it, for me, for Rose, for my parents, for my nieces and nephews, for my sister. I have 6 weeks of training left and I need to make them count!

4 comments:

  1. Superstar, as always! I'm sure you can get that podium x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely. Lanzarote is the only one I have never podiumed...I hope this is my year xx

      Delete
  2. Another awesome read! You will rock LANZA love! Believe in yourself and all that you ARE know that there is a power inside you greater than any obstacle! Ready to rock it #likeabos

    ReplyDelete
  3. #likeaboss! Keep up the awesome work love you are going to be incredible xxx

    ReplyDelete